BBC Sport Football Premier League

BBC Sport Football News Update

17 January 2009

Fa Barclaycard Premiership News Update

Fa Barclaycard Premiership News
( 17 January 2009 )

English Premiership football News

Kinnear offered extended contract
Joe Kinnear has revealed he has been offered the chance to become Newcastle's permanent manager.

Kinnear is currently contracted until the end of the season having arrived as interim manager following Kevin Keegan's departure last September.

However, Kinnear's performance appears to have persuaded the board to offer him a long-term deal.

"I'm just mulling over things in my head at the moment. I have been offered a very lucrative contract," he said.

"I know what my own future is," the 62-year-old added on talkSPORT.

The former Wimbledon and Nottingham Forest manager has led Newcastle out of the bottom three since owner Mike Ashley brought him to the club, winning four and drawing eight of his 17 games in charge.

"Mike Ashley, (managing director) Derek Llambias and I, we've sat down and talked about taking the club forward and about reinvesting in the club in the summer," said Kinnear.

"But I said to them that first and foremost, we have to work hard and establish ourselves as a Premier League side and get away from the relegation fight.

"I really don't need any more distractions than that.

"What I suggested to the club was that we all sit down in the summer and look at each other and say what direction do we want to take the club in, refinancing it, letting players go and bringing in my own players.

"I'll also see what my wife and family have to say about the situation of moving up here permanently."

Kinnear's spell at Newcastle has not been without controversy.

In October Kinnear launched a furious attack on the media in a news conference swearing 52 times.

And in November Kinnear was charged with improper conduct after his criticism of referee Martin Atkinson following his side's defeat by Fulham.

Earlier this month he was sent to the stands after a bust up with Hull boss Phil Brown during his side's 1-0 FA Cup defeat.
by bbcnews.

No comments:

Sir Bobby Robson DVD