BBC Sport Football Premier League

BBC Sport Football News Update

16 January 2009

Fa Barclaycard Premiership News Update

Fa Barclaycard Premiership News
( 16 January 2009 )

English Premiership football News

Benitez turns down contract offer
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has dismissed the Anfield club last contract offer, BBC Sport understands.


Benitez, 48, said he will accept that if the operation has more control over the gains in football instead of having to meet the chief executive Rick Parry.

"The owners feel (my) decisions must be submitted to the CEO," said Benitez Liverpool Echo.

"But I know I am the subject of results and our fans and they are the best judges I ever will."

Benitez, who accepted the financial terms and duration of the proposed contract, informed the American club owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett for his stand.

The Spaniard insists he has a strong relationship with the co-owners, but states that the proposed transaction would not allow him to manage the Liverpool football to the best of its abilities.


"My relationship with the owners is better than people think," he said. "I have regular contacts with them and especially with Tom Hicks, who has always been very favorable.

"The discussions between my agent and counsel of the owners have been very positive and friendly and our differences are my responsibilities.

"I have lots of experience at various football clubs, and if you do not have a technical director and you're the manager, you must have control of football decisions.

But always within a budget which is controlled by the owners and the club.

"In this scenario, the manager knows the amount he has money at his disposal and can decide how much to spend on each player based on the needs of the team.

"The only person who can decide the value of a player of his team because he is the manager knows what elements are needed to improve the team."

Hicks moved quickly to reassure supporters that Benitez will continue for the next five years, insisting he has no concerns about the contract rejection.

"I will work with Rafa to get this resolved - and I'm not worried at all," Hicks told Sky Sports News.

"Rafa will be the coach of Liverpool for the next five years, and we will work through this."

Benitez, whose current four-year expires in 2010, expressed their frustration at not having the level of control, I wish more of the club Kirkby-based academy.

"I think the academy is a very important part of the future of the club. The duration of the contract was accepted and it shows my long-term commitment to the club, "he said.

"I know that academies Ajax, Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan and Valencia, the players and they regularly produce.

"The way the system works, it means the manager has a contribution in the development and I think this could be the way forward and we hope this will help us make better use of local talent."

Benitez led Liverpool to the top of the Premier League, still looking for their first championship title 19 years.

"I think this club has the potential to improve, and I just want to be able to help do this," he added.

"I will continue to do my job as manager and concentrate on the thing I want our fans to focus on - winning trophies for them.

"From the first day I came to the club that I have always given 100% and I will continue to do so.

"We have a very important match to face Everton on Monday evening and now I just want to be able to focus only on this point."
by bbcnews.

No comments:

Sir Bobby Robson DVD